Ever think your grandma was talking nonsense when she suggested home remedies for your everyday ailments? That may be the case with standing on your head to rid yourself of hiccups… but there are some that actually work! Well Grandma Ruthie had plenty, here are her top 6 uses for the retro home remedy Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV).
So what is ACV?
ACV, apple cider vinegar, is a type of vinegar made from cider, the result of crushing apples and squeezing out the liquid then adding bacteria and yeast. After 2 rounds of fermentation, the concoction is turned into vinegar by acetic-acid forming bacteria. It’s usually amber and resembles apple juice.
Why does some ACV look like apple juice that’s been left out too long?
As the Gerson Institute explains, unpasteurized, raw, organic ACV has “mother of vinegar,” or what we lovingly refer to as “the good stuff.” Mother of vinegar resembles the strand-like sediments in Khombucha and contains the raw enzymes + gut-friendly bacteria that promote healing.
But first, some background…
I was lucky enough to grow up spending time with my grandparents each week. My Grandma Ruth taught me a LOT, in fact, she was one of the inspirations behind Whole Food Love! Ruthie possessed endless knowledge of frugal, ingenious life hacks (before they were popular). Below are some of her pearls of wisdom: home remedies with Apple Cider Vinegar, which is quickly making its way back into mainstream.
Ruthie’s Top 6 uses for ACV
- Goodbye Bland! The sweet + sour taste of ACV gives an instant “zing” to otherwise bland foods. Use 1 Tbsp. on your next salad or quinoa bowl for a zesty addition. ACV lowers glucose levels and contains enzymes that help promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut. Daily intake of acetic acid in ACV is also linked to weight loss via an increase in satiety.
- So Fresh and So Clean! Move over Pinesol, here’s an ACV cleaning solution that will leave your kitchen smelling like a basket of freshly picked delicious apples (not lemony bleach). Simply mix 1 part ACV with 1 part water to create a chemical-free, non-toxic, anti-bacterial, odor-absorbing and cheap DIY cleaning solution. Spray on hard surfaces and wipe with a cloth: use freely in the kitchen, bathroom and on hardwood floors!
- Shine On! Who doesn’t want a smooth, shiny mane? ACV can be used as a conditioner replacement! The vinegar helps remove excess oil and dirt while balancing you hair’s pH. ACV seals the cuticle, clearing dandruff + greasy build-up and soothes an itchy, irritated scalp. After shampooing, mix 2 Tbsp. ACV with 8oz. of cold water. Stir to combine and pour over wet hair. Let sit and rinse with cool water. Try this a couple times per week for best results.
- Easy, Glowing Skin! ACV can be used as a cleansing astringent and antibacterial, although any condition involving inflammation and irritation will benefit from this simple home remedy. After using a gentle cleanser on your face, soak a cotton ball with ACV and apply directly to skin (can also use this as an all-natural aftershave). For extra detoxification, use ACV astringent morning and night before applying sunscreen.
- Goodbye Sniffles! As soon as you feel a sore throat or flu symptoms, make some ACV tea! Combine 8 oz. boiling water with 1 Tbsp. ACV in a coffee mug. If desired, sweeten with a drop of honey and sprinkle of ground cinnamon. ACV tea is great for draining mucous, soothing a sore throat, and even warding off colds (thanks to the antibacterial and antimicrobial properties).
- Sunburn Forgiveness! We’ve all learned that lesson, multiple times in fact. The one where we forget to put on sunscreen, have a blast one summer day and then pay for it the rest of the week with red, uncomfortable sunburn. There’s a trick Grandma Ruthie showed me that I have employed more times than I can count: Soak a handkerchief in ACV and apply directly to sunburned skin. It will feel cold at first, so leave the soaked handkerchief on for 1-2 minutes. Like magic, remove the handkerchief and feel the heat! Follow-up with copious amounts of lotion and your sunburn will fade without peeling.
Try one or try all! Let us know with a comment what you think 🙂 Have another ACV remedy? Share it in the comment section below!
Live your WHOLE life,
Shannon + Meg
*Consuming ridiculously large amounts of ACV can have some side effects (250 ml each day for years)…So don’t go overboard (obvious? Yes)!